After popping up in the U.S. baby name data for a couple of years in the late ’90s, the name Avianne returned to the data in 2017:
- 2019: 15 baby girls named Avianne
- 2018: 11 baby girls named Avianne
- 2017: 6 baby girls named Avianne
- 2016: unlisted
- 2015: unlisted
What brought it back?
New York City-based jewelry company Avianne (pronounced ah-vee-AH-nee), which is known for creating flashy, custom jewelry for various celebrities — particularly rappers.
Avianne — just like rival jewelry company Eliantte — has been name-checked in hundreds of rap songs. The songs that saw the most chart success (before/during 2017) were…
- “Wicked” (2016) by Future
- Lyric: “I purchase Avianne and now she lit, huh”
- Peak: #97 on the U.S. Hot 100
- “Drowning” (2017) by A Boogie wit da Hoodie, feat. Kodak Black
- Lyric: “Just bought a brand new chain from Avianne”
- Peak: #38
- “What Would Meek Do?” (2018) by Pusha T, feat. Kanye West
- Lyric: “This Avianne collarbone is see-through”
- Peak: #75
Other rappers that have mentioned Avianne in one or more songs include Young Thug, Lil Uzi Vert, Travis Scott, 21 Savage, Fetty Wap, Migos, Yo Gotti, DaBaby, Young Scooter, Roddy Ricch, Cam’Ron, Don Q, Tyga, Smokepurpp, Playboi Carti, Lil Baby, Flatbush Zombies, Kodie Shane, and Coi Leray.
So how did the brand come to be called “Avianne”?
In 1985, brothers Izzy and Joe Aranbayev emigrated with their parents and extended family from Uzbekistan to Brooklyn. Their father, Boris, started working in a jewelry store. By the mid-1990s, Boris had established a jewelry manufacturing company. A few years later, in 1999, Izzy and several cousins launched a retail jewelry business.
They decided against using their Russian last names and opted for something that sounded more luxurious — think Italian luxury brands like Versace, Gucci, and Armani.
Today, Izzy mainly works behind the scenes, and Joe works on the sales floor. As the face of Avianne & Co, Joe often goes by “Joe Avianne.”
What are your thoughts on the baby name Avianne?
- DeStefano, Mike. “Two Decades of Diamonds: How Avianne and Co. Became the Go-To Jewelers for Cam’ron, Lil Baby, and More.” Complex 20 Mar. 2020.
- Meet Cam’ron and Lil Baby’s Go-To Jewelers, Avianne and Co. (video)
Image: © Avianne & Co.