The Disney Channel sitcom Good Luck Charlie isn’t just helping to popularize the already-trendy girl name Charlie, but it seems to have single-handedly brought back the girl name Teddy. (On the show, the two sisters in the Duncan family are Charlotte, nicknamed “Charlie,” and Teddy.)
Will Good Luck Charlie now have a similar influence on the baby name Toby?
In December of 2011, Disney announced that the family in the sitcom would be welcoming a fifth child. Fans were given a 2-week window in which to vote for their favorite baby name via the show’s official webpage. These were the choices:
The baby, a boy, arrived during the episode that aired on June 24, 2012. He was born in an ice cream truck and given the name Toby (which had received nearly 26 million votes).
Usage of the baby name Toby has been declining in the U.S. lately:
- 2011: 291 baby boys & 61 baby girls with the name Toby
- 2010: 358 baby boys & 50 baby girls with the name Toby
- 2009: 396 baby boys & 56 baby girls with the name Toby
- 2008: 440 baby boys & 53 baby girls with the name Toby
- 2007: 461 baby boys & 51 baby girls with the name Toby
Do you think the popular sitcom could turn this trend around?
Update, 2020: The name Toby ended up rising in usage in both 2012 and 2013 before continuing its downward trajectory. The series itself ended in early 2014.