Some awesomeness to start your week…
That post on Makgiber from a while back made me wonder: has MacGyver ever been used as a baby name in the U.S.?
Yes, it has!
Five or more baby boys in the U.S. were named MacGyver during the following years:
- 2006: 7 baby boys named MacGyver
- 1995: 5 baby boys named MacGyver
- 1994: unlisted
- 1993: 5 baby boys named MacGyver
- 1992: 9 baby boys named MacGyver
- 1991: 7 baby boys named MacGyver
- 1990: 6 baby boys named MacGyver
- 1989: 6 baby boys named MacGyver [debut]
- 1988: unlisted
I’m sure the name was bestowed in other years as well, just not often enough to make the SSA’s cutoff.
MacGyver has to be the best nontraditional baby name of all time. Seriously. If you’re gonna go unique, go MacGyver. How could you not like a kid with this name? He could fix anything (using only duct tape!). And he’d be the only kid in the neighborhood who could rock a mullet properly.
The only name I can think of that might be cooler than MacGyver is Chucknorris. I have yet to come across a baby named Chucknorris, but I’m keeping my fingers crossed.