The Atlanta Journal-Constitution recently compiled several lists of unusual baby names using birth records from the Georgia Department of Human Resources (covering January 1990 through July 2007).
Here are some highlights:
- Animal names: Badger, Coyote, Jerboa, Manatee, Peacock, Stallion
- Car names: Civic, Dodge, Elantra, Scion, Tiburon, Toyota
- City names: Cambridge, Kyoto, Madrid, Montreal, Sacramento, Zurich
- Country names: Belgium, Ethiopia, Gibraltar, Iceland, Seychelles, Vatican
- Food names: Cola, Dextrose, Dijon, Kiwi, Nacho, Teriyaki
- Occupation names: Attorney, Butcher, Guitarist, Messenger, Spy, Writer
- Trademark names: Dasani, Exxon, L’Oreal, McAfee, Nokia, Toshiba
The one I liked best of all was Teflon…for the non-stick baby, of course.
There were also many alcohol-related names, such as Bacardi, Chianti, Courvoisier, Michelob, Sangria, Tequila and Tanqueray.