Two momentous things happen every year on December 2. First, Britney Spears celebrates her birthday. (Happy b-day, Brit-Brit!) Second, NBN kicks off another round of the Pop Culture Baby Name Game.
Which baby names will see significant movement on the baby name charts in 2015 thanks to popular culture (television, music, movies, sports, current events, products/advertising, video games, etc.)? Comment below with your guesses. Don’t forget to mention the pop culture influence.
Here are a few to start us off:
- Adaline – the movie The Age of Adaline was released in April
- Arlo – the movie The Good Dinosaur was released in November
- Atticus – the book Go Set a Watchman was released in July
- Bernie – Bernie Sanders launched his presidential campaign in May
- Bryshere, Cookie, Empire, Hakeem, Jussie, Lola, Lucious, Lyon, Taraji, Trai – the show Empire debuted in January
- Denali – the mountain was renamed in August
- Furiosa – the movie Mad Max was released in May (suggested by Megan)
- Jeralean – supercentenarian Jeralean Talley died in June (suggested by elbowin)
- Junipero, Serra – 18th-century priest Junipero Serra was canonized in September
- Lucille – musician B. B. King died in May (suggested by elbowin)
- Margo, Quentin – the movie Paper Towns was released in July
- Misty – ballerina Misty Copeland became the ABT’s first-ever African-American female principal dancer in June
- Roland, Vanessa – the movie By the Sea was released in November
- Trump – Donald Trump launched his presidential campaign in June
I’ll post the results in mid-May, after the SSA releases the 2015 baby name data. If you don’t want to miss the results post, remember to subscribe!