Belvin Maynard, the race-winning pilot we talked about earlier this week, had five brothers and five sisters. All 11 kids were born in North Carolina. Here are their first and middle names:
- Morell Battle, b. 1890
- Belvin Womble, b. 1892
- Anna Bailey, b. 1894
- Sherwood Amos, called “Amos,” b. 1896
- Vera Claire, b. 1899
- Worth Jackson, b. 1901
- Elizabeth Liles, b. 1903
- Atlas Alan, called “A. A.,” b. 1906
- Caralee, b. 1909
- Junius Huston Bryan, called “Bryan,” b. 1912
- Lalon, b. 1914
Kids #7 and #8 were named directly after the parents. Belvin’s curious middle name, Womble, was the maiden name of his paternal grandmother (first name Kiddy).
Which of these names do you like best?
- Lt. Belvin Womble Maynard – Find a Grave
- “More than Three Thousand Attend Funeral of Lieutenant Maynard.” Wilmington Morning Star 11 Sept. 1922: 1.