How popular is the baby name Marvin in the United States right now? How popular was it historically? Find out using the graph below! Plus, see baby names similar to Marvin and check out all the blog posts that mention the name Marvin.
Avast! Did you know that today is Talk Like a Pirate Day?
“Arrr” itself doesn’t make a great name — even for pirates — but here’s the next best thing: over 120 names that feature the “ar”-sound.
Which of the “ar”-names above do you like best? Did I miss any good ones?
(Image from Pixabay)
Putres and Nihal Yacoub of Melbourne, Australia, welcomed triplets in July. They now have a total of nine children, each with an M-name:
- Michael, 12 years old
- Marina, 10
- Martin, 9
- Marvin, 7
- Martina, 6
- Miguel, 4
- Mario, 1 month
- Mary, 1 month
- Mina, 1 month
Nihal said that she and her husband (both originally from Iraq) stuck with M-names simply because they started with Michael and Marina “and then kept going.”
I find it very interesting that they chose both Martin and Martina and also both Michael and Miguel.
So let’s say Nihal were going to have a 10th baby and she wanted you to choose the name. What one boy name and one girl name would you suggest?
Source: Royal Women’s Hospital triplets brings Yacoub family to 11 (found via Voornamelijk)
This Saturday’s lunar eclipse will be the last total lunar eclipse until 2014, so I guess now is the time to post about people with the name Eclipse!
Below are people with Eclipse as either a first or a middle name. I’ve matched as many as possible with specific historical lunar eclipses and solar eclipses listed on NASA’s website. Here’s the result:
- Emma Eclipse Earl, born in England on 7 September 1820, the day of a partial solar eclipse.
- William Moore Eclipse Reddall, born in England in 1820.
- Eclipse Mitchell, born in South Carolina circa 1828.
- Eclipse Sabourin, born in Quebec circa 1823.
- Eclipse Thomas, born in North Carolina in 1829. (Father of Eclipse J. Thomas, below.)
- Eclipse Northeast, born in England circa 1831.
- Charles Eclipse Bennett, born in England in 1836.
- Maria Eclipse Wilson, born in England in 1836.
- Augusta Caroline Eclipse Golden, born in England in 1837.
- Eclipse Scott, born in Virginia on 26 May 1854, the day of a partial solar eclipse.
- Eclipse Hilsden, born in England circa 1862.
- Eclipse J. Thomas, born in Georgia in 1867. (Son of Eclipse Thomas, above.)
- Eclipse Smith, born in Kentucky circa 1869.
- Eclipse Newton, born in Missouri circa 1871.
- Nina Eclipse Gain, born in Canada circa 1873.
- Luna Eclipse Hill, born in Texas on 24 October 1874, the day before a total lunar eclipse.
- Ida/Ada Eclipse Wade, born in Massachusetts on 25 October 1874, the day of a total lunar eclipse. (I found records for both Ida and Ada — could be a misspelling, or could mean twins.)
- Eclipse Green, born in Mississippi in 1877.
- Lily Eclipse Monks, born in England circa 1878.
- Henry Eclipse Monheim, born in Utah on 29 July 1878, the day of a partial solar eclipse.
- Marvin Eclipse Wallace, born in Bryan, Brazos, Texas [30° 39′ N, 96° 22′ W] on 29 July 1878, the day of total solar eclipse.
- Sanford Eclipse Gantt, born in Paris, Lamar, Texas [33° 39′ N, 95° 32′ W] on 29 July 1878, the day of a total solar eclipse.
- May Eclipse Glass, born in England circa 1890.
- Essie Eclipse McGill, born in Tennessee on 29 January 1892.
- Eclipse Blackman, born in Georgia circa 1898.
- Eclipse Eley, born in Georgia circa 1900.
- Eclipse Ruth Green, born in Mississippi circa 1914.
- Vivian Eclipse Cubine, born in Oklahoma on 2 May 1920, the day before a partial lunar eclipse.
- Eclipse Deutschman, born in New York circa 1925.
- Eclipse De Marco, born in Rhode Island circa 1925.
- Angelina Eclipse Ramos, born in Hawaii on 5 May 1941.
- Jennifer Eclipse Kerr, born in Texas on 6 July 1982, the day of a total lunar eclipse.
- Kathleen Eclipse Hernandez, born in Texas on 11 Jul 1991, the day of a partial solar eclipse.
- Kathleen Eclipse Long, born in Texas on 12 Jun 1992, three days before a partial lunar eclipse.
And at least a few kids in southern Africa were given eclipse-related names (like Eclipse Glasses, Annular and Totality) around the time of the total solar eclipse there in June of 2001.
Image: Eclipse 2006 – Nkanfoa, Ghana 3 by Steve and Ruth Bosman
Here are some New Year’s babies from around the nation:
- Dothan, AL: Adia
- Mobile, AL: Bryce Anthony
- Anchorage, AK: Alexander (whose mom, Donna, was the first baby born in Gary, IN in 1974)
- Fort Wainwright, AK: Gabriel Louis
- Mohave County, AZ: Joel Oswaldo
- Yuma County, AZ: Yesenia
- Bay Area, CA: Tania Guadalupe
- Butte County, CA: Grace Claire
- Fresno, CA: Preston Moses
- Hanford, CA: Joslyn Marie
- High Desert area, CA: Amzye Jeremiah
- Inland Valley, CA: Mya Renee
- Lodi, CA: Angel (boy)
- Monterey County, CA: Vincent Jacob
- Napa County, CA: Oscar
- Sacramento, CA: Dillon
- San Luis Obispo County, CA: Eliel (boy)
- San Mateo County, CA: Stella Kristina
- Santa Barbara County, CA: Everardo
- Santa Clara County, CA: Hannah Yi
- Santa Clarita Valley, CA: Lily
- Santa Cruz County, CA: Annabelle Mae
- Solano County, CA: Christopher Lee
- Stanislaus County, CA: Kate Rebekah
- Tulare County, CA: Isaiah Joe
- Denver metro-area, CO: Aiden Lavon
- Greeley, CO: Ziclaly Alonso (girl)
- Loveland, CO: Abigail Joy
- Southern CO: Savanna Marie
- Stamford, CT: Nolan Matthew
- Bay County, FL: Semaj G’ntae (boy)
- Central FL: Avery Thomas
- Charlotte County, FL: Amber Lynn
- Highlands County, FL: Anabella Marie (born at 12 a.m.)
- Jackson County, FL: Jackson Lee
- Northwest FL: Jayden Ryder
- Palm Beach County, FL: Hugo
- Tallahassee, FL: JaKenya (girl)
- Tampa, FL: Michael Daniel
- Atlanta, GA: Austin Devon
- Effingham County, GA: Marieli Ebelysse
- Floyd County, GA: Jonathan William
- Hall County, GA: Bonnie Christine
- Macon, GA: Jacob Wilbur
- Whitfield County, GA: Henry Javier
- Boise, ID: Collin Patrick
- Appanoose County, IA: Olivia
- Cedar Rapids area, IA: Chelsey Raylynn
- Quad Cities area, IA/IL: Angel Marie
- Chicago area, IL: Klaudia Wiktoria
- Madison County, IN: Mickenzie Brooke
- Terre Haute, IN: Miley Marie
- Lawrence, KS: Kiowa Joseph
- Topeka, KS: Julia Elizabeth
- Wichita, KS: David Zachariah
- Shreveport-Bossier City area, LA: Gianna
- Maine: Averie (girl)
- Nanticoke Memorial Hospital, MD: Heivi (boy)
- Massachusetts: Maisen (boy)
- Berkshire County, MA: Jayden Emiliano
- Boston, MA: Jackson Miller
- Cape Cod, MA: Caspar
- Merrimack Valley, MA: Jack Shackett
- North Adams, MA: Natalie
- Western MA: Meiah (girl)
- Worcester, MA: MacKenzie
- Cadillac, MI: Aaden Allen
- Kent County, MI: Blake Alan
- Midland County, MI: Meghan Marie
- Niles, MI: Merrick William
- Hattiesburg, MS: Kym’Mari (girl)
- Meridian, MS: A’Mirikah Brennae (girl)
- Central MN: Morgan Elizabeth
- Olmsted County, MN: Tegan James
- Twins Cities area, MN: Carter Strong
- Boone County, MO: Bella Grace
- Jefferson City, MO: Eden (girl)
- Joplin, MO: Brooklyn (girl)
- Springfield, MO: Lakyn Addlai (girl)
- Helena, MT: Angel Love Jacqueline
- Lincoln, NE: Emily Elizabeth
- Churchill County, NV: James Peter
- New Hampshire: Eleanor Louise
- New Jersey: Grace
- Burlington County, NJ: Katelyn Michelle
- Cumberland County, NJ: Sa’Niyah Renee
- Gloucester County, NJ: Quinton (boy)
- Hudson County, NJ: Kelsea Dorothy Elizabeth (born 8 minutes past midnight and weighed 8 pounds, 8 ounces)
- Monmouth County, NJ: Alexzander Lee
- Northern NJ: David Stuart
- Ocean County, NJ: Connor Christian
- Salem County, NJ: Jeremiah Chase
- Trenton, NJ: Marvin
- Las Cruces, NM: Brenda Vanessa
- Albany region, NY: Avery William
- Bronx, NY: Ashley Nicole
- New York City, NY: tie between Isabella Sofia and Kamiyah Alina
- Erie County, NY: Hunter Remington
- Long Island, NY: Jes (girl)
- Monroe County, NY: Silver Ann
- Rockland County, NY: Mendell Zachary
- Beaufort County Hospital, NC: Emonie (girl)
- Catawba County, NC: Christian Raeshon
- Charlotte, NC: Maurice
- Pitt County Memorial Hospital, NC: Zai-Arreyon (boy)
- Rowan County, NC: Daniela
- Sandhills area, NC/SC: Billy
- Fargo-Moorhead area, ND/MN: Eli Vinh (boy; named after Eli Manning after mom refused to name him after Randy Moss)
- Alliance, OH: Raith Alexander
- Central OH: tie between Taven James and Olivia Mae
- Coshocton County, OH: Caydan Mikel
- Dayton, OH: Adreia
- Holmes County, OH: Royce Nathaniel
- Van Wert County, OH: Kenna Leigh (whose dad, Mike, was the first baby born there in 1983)
- Tulsa, OK: Lathan Lee
- Coos County, OR: Jenna Nichole
- Marion and Polk Counties, OR: David Ivan
- Blair County, PA: Noah
- Crawford County, PA: Easton Lane
- Gettysburg Hospital, PA: Faith Lynn (sister of Kaden Skye, Gettysburg Hospital’s first baby of 2007)
- Philadelphia region, PA: Grace
- Pittsburgh, PA: Gabriella Grace
- Somerset County, PA: Rebecca
- Towanda, PA: Gracelyn
- Rhode Island: Marisol
- Greenville County, SC: Hayden (boy)
- Black Hills, SD: Abigayle Lorraine
- Rapid City, SD: Fiona Jayde
- Blount County, TN: Curtis Joe
- Middle TN: William DeWayne
- Abilene, TX: Skye Renee
- Allen, TX: Anant
- Angelina County, TX: DaKorian Windell (boy)
- Austin, TX: Rylan Austin (boy)
- Bell County, TX: Savannah Cheyenne
- Dallas, TX: Maya
- El Paso, TX: Abigail Leia
- Fort Worth, TX: Lilly
- Kerrville, TX: Genavieve Jaylene
- Houston, TX: Destiny
- Sweetwater, TX: Kalyn (girl)
- Utah: Adrian Alexander
- Augusta County, VA: Vincent Immanuel
- Central VA: Rhea Noelle
- Prince William County, VA: Anthony Paul
- Smyth County, VA: Cheyenne Elizabeth
- Southwest VA: Alafair Winter (girl)
- Washington, D.C. area: Stella Inez
- Clark County, WA: Kirsi Ryan (girl)
- Kittitas County, WA: Elke
- Pierce County, WA: Evelyn Rose
- Seattle area, WA: Noah
- Snohomish County, WA: Mademou Drammeh (girl)
- Green Bay, WI: Preston Johnathan
- Lafayette County, WI: Spencer Elmer
- Marshfield, WI: Clayton James
Do you know the name of the first baby born in your region in 2008? Please leave a comment if you do!
P.S. – Here’s my list from 2007.
Not sure what to name your baby?
Maybe you should go with a classic. The following names have been popular in the U.S. since at least 1880 (when data on baby names was first collected). None of the male names have ever been out of the top 400, and none of the female names have ever been out of the top 500.
So, if you’re stumped, simply close your eyes and point. Just remember to veer to the left if you’re having a boy, to the right if you’re having a girl…
Honorable Mentions: Douglas, Eddie, Ivan, Lawrence, Mitchell and Russell were each out of the top 400 only once, and Nora was out of the top 500 only once.