In the world of Twilight, Renesmee is the half-human, half-vampire child of main characters Bella Swan and Edward Cullen. She was born in the middle of Breaking Dawn (2008), the fourth and final book of the series.
According to Bella herself, the name is pronounced “Ruh-nez-may.” It’s a combination of Renée (the name of Bella’s mother) and Esme (the name of Edward’s adoptive mother).
The first real-life Renesmee I spotted was born in Scotland in 2009. But in mid-2010, when the SSA’s 2009 data was released, we all discovered that more than a dozen U.S. baby girls had been named Renesmee the same year:
- 2017: 127 baby girls named Renesmee
- 2016: 154 baby girls named Renesmee
- 2015: 129 baby girls named Renesmee
- 2014: 135 baby girls named Renesmee
- 2013: 135 baby girls named Renesmee
- 2012: 59 baby girls named Renesmee
- 2011: 33 baby girls named Renesmee
- 2010: 47 baby girls named Renesmee
- 2009: 18 baby girls named Renesmee [debut]
- 2008: unlisted
Total count so far? 837.
The name has never cracked the top 1,000, but usage remains weirdly strong (given the fact that the Twilight craze has passed) so perhaps it will in the future.
That jump in the usage between 2012 and 2013 was due to the second of the two Breaking Dawn movies. In the second one, released in late 2012, Renesmee was a young child (as opposed to a newborn).
But this isn’t the full story. A slew of Renesmee variants have cropped up as well:
- Renesme debuted in 2009 (88 so far)
- Renesmae debuted in 2012 (171 so far)
- Renezmae debuted in 2012 (95 so far)
- Renesmay debuted in 2013 (54 so far)
- Renezmee debuted in 2013 (22 so far)
- Renezmay debuted in 2013 (18 so far)
- Ranezmae debuted in 2013 (22 so far)
- Ranezmay debuted in 2014 (12 so far)
- Renezme debuted in 2014 (11 so far)
- Renessmae debuted in 2017 (8 so far)
Putting all the various spellings together, the total count is more than 1,330.
What are your thoughts on the baby name Renesmee?
P.S. The French names Renée and Esmé mean “born again” and “loved,” respectively.
[Latest update: August 2018]