Time for another mystery name! Today we have Darwyn, which saw a dramatic spike in usage in 1935:
- 1937: 14 baby boys named Darwyn
- 1936: 17 baby boys named Darwyn
- 1935: 67 baby boys named Darwyn (rank: 752nd) [peak usage]
- 1934: 12 baby boys named Darwyn
- 1932: 8 baby boys named Darwyn
In fact, Darwyn was the fastest-rising boy name of 1935. (The equivalent girl name that year was the contest-inspired Norita.)
The more common spelling, Darwin, only saw a slight rise in usage in 1935. So whatever the influence was, it was spelling-specific.
I’ve done my usual pop culture/current events searches — movies, comics, politics, etc. — but so far have come up empty-handed.
Any ideas on this one?
Image by Willi Heidelbach from Pixabay