In 1963, the name Stoney saw a sharp spike in usage. In fact, the surge catapulted Stoney right into the middle of the U.S. top 1,000:
- 1965: 98 baby boys named Stoney [rank: 749th]
- 1964: 109 baby boys named Stoney [rank: 740th]
- 1963: 259 baby boys named Stoney [rank: 500th]
- 1962: 54 baby boys named Stoney
- 1961: 15 baby boys named Stoney
The spelling Stony peaked that year as well.
Because of the TV western Stoney Burke, which aired for just one season (1962-1963). The main character, Stoney (played by actor Jack Lord), was a professional rodeo rider whose goal was to win the Golden Buckle — the prize given to the world’s champion saddle bronc rider.
What are your thoughts on the baby name Stoney? Would you use it?
Sources: Stoney Burke (TV series) – Wikipedia, SSA