Looking for baby names that contain the word ZEN?
If so, here’s a long list of enlightened options to choose from!
Top baby names with ZEN
First, a quick rundown of the most popular names with the letter sequence “z-e-n,” according to the current U.S. baby name data.
|Top girl names with “z-e-n”||Top boy names with “z-e-n”|
Now here are the same names again, this time with links to popularity graphs and, in some cases, explanations/definitions. (Many of these are modern names without a distinct origin, so I can’t add as much extra information as I did in similar posts, e.g., VAN, ICE, CAR.)
- Azeneth is likely based on Asenath, a feminine Biblical name derived from an ancient Egyptian name meaning “belonging to (the goddess) Neith.”
- Chozen is based on the vocabulary word chosen.
- Hazen comes from the Dutch surname Hazen, which was based on the Middle Dutch word hase, meaning “hare.”
- Kaizen, Kaiyzen
- Zen comes from the vocabulary word zen, which (in English) often refers to enlightenment. The word is ultimately based upon the Sanskrit word dhyana, meaning “meditation.”
- Zenaida is derived from the ancient Greek name Zenais, which is based on the name of the god Zeus.
- Zenith comes from the vocabulary word zenith, meaning “highest point” or “peak.”
- Zeno is derived from the ancient Greek name Zenon, which is also based on Zeus.
- Zenobia and Zenovia are forms of an ancient Greek name meaning “life of Zeus.”
More names with ZEN
So, what other names have ZEN in them? Here are some less-common choices. (Nearly all of these come directly from the SSA’s baby name data.)
- Azen, Ayzen
- Asuzena, Azuzena
- Used mostly in the state of Oregon. The University of Oregon’s football team plays in Autzen Stadium, which was named after Danish-American lumberman/philanthropist Thomas J. Autzen.
- Brazen, Brayzen
- Haizen, Hayzen
- Jazen, Jayzen, Jaizen
- Kazen, Kayzen
- Khyzen, Khaizen
- Rozena, Rosezena
- Zenaya, Zenayah, Zenaiya
- Zendayah, Zendaiya
- Zeni, Zeny, Zennie, Zenni
- Zenia, Zeniah, Zennia
- Zeniya, Zenniyah
- Zenon, Zennon
- Zenora, Zenorah
Several of the above are non-traditional spellings of more common names, such as Susan and Yesenia.
Which ZEN name do you like most? Let me know in the comments!
- Behind the Name
- Hanks, Patrick. (Ed.) Dictionary of American Family Names. New York: Oxford University Press, 2003.
Image by Ray Wyman Jr from Unsplash