Car Names as Baby Names
|August 13, 2010|
Love cars? Here are some car-related names that have been used as baby names:
- Allante, from Cadillac Allante.
- Aston, from Aston Martin. Inspired by Aston Hill in England.
- Audi, German manufacturer. The name is a Latin translation of Horch, surname of founder August Horch.
- Avanti, from Studebaker Avanti. The word avanti means “forward” in Italian.
- Bentley, British manufacturer. Named after founder W. O. Bentley.
- Camry, from Toyota Camry. The name is based on kanmuri, which means “crown” in Japanese.
- Caprice, from Chevrolet Caprice. Named after a New York City restaurant.
- Catera, from Cadillac Catera.
- Celica, from Toyota Celica. The name is based on caelica, which means “celestial” in Latin.
- Chevelle, from Chevrolet Chevelle.
- Chevy, nickname for Chevrolet.
- Civic, from Honda Civic.
- Cooper, from MINI Cooper. Named after auto racer John Cooper.
- Cressida, from Toyota Cressida.
- DeLorean, from DeLorean DMC-12.
- Dino, from Fiat Dino or Ferrari Dino. Both named after V6 engine designer Alfredo “Dino” Ferrari.
- Dodge, a division of Chrysler.
- Elantra, from Hyundai Elantra.
- Elise, from Lotus Elise. Named after Elisa Artioli, granddaughter of Italian entrepreneur Romano Artioli.
- Elva, British manufacturer. The name is based on elle va, which means “she goes” in French.
- Florian, from Isuzu Florian. Named after the fictional horse in Florian, the Emperor’s Stallion by Felix Salten.
- Ford, American manufacturer. Named after founder Henry Ford.
- Hudson, American manufacturer.
- Jazz, from Honda Jazz.
- Jeep, a division of Chrysler.
- Jetta, from Volkswagen Jetta. The name is based on the phrase “jet stream.”
- Jimmy, from GMC Jimmy.
- Kia, South Korean manufacturer.
- Lexus, a division of Toyota. The name has no specific meaning, according to the company.
- Lincoln, a division of Ford. Named after former U.S. president Abraham Lincoln.
- Martin, from Aston Martin. Named after founder Lionel Martin.
- Mercedes, from Mercedes-Benz, a division of Daimler AG. Named after Mercedes Jellinek, daughter of Austrian entrepreneur Emil Jellinek.
- Miata, from Mazda Miata. Possibly means “reward” in Old High German.
- Millenia, from Mazda Millenia.
- Mondeo, from Ford Mondeo. The name is based on mundus, which means “world” in Latin.
- Morgan, British manufacturer.
- Porsche, German manufacturer. Named after founder Ferdinand Porsche.
- Royce, from Rolls-Royce. Named after founder Henry Royce.
- Scion, a Toyota marque.
- Shelby, from Shelby American. Named for founder Carroll Hall Shelby.
- Tiburon, from Hyundai Tiburon. The word tiburón means “shark” in Spanish.
- Toyota, Japanese manufacturer. Named for founder Kiichiro Toyoda.
- VW, short for Volkswagen.
Blog readers have also told me about babies named Riviera (after the Buick Riviera) and Axel (because of its similarity to the word axle).
Know any babies that were named for automobiles?
[Psst! Were you looking for a post about giving a name to your car?]