Avatar is doing very well at the box office right now. And whenever a sci-fi/fantasy film (or book, or TV show) hits big like this, I can’t help but wonder: What baby names could it inspire/popularize?
- Neytiri (pronounced nay-TEE-ree), the pretty Na’vi warrior-princess
- Eywa (pronounced AY-wah), the Na’vi deity
- Toruk (“last shadow”), the massive flying creature
- Toruk Makto (“rider of the last shadow”), any Na’vi to manages to tame/ride a Toruk
- Na’vi (“the people,” pronounced nah-vee), the sentient, blue humanoids of Pandora
I wouldn’t be shocked to see any of these pop up in my local birth announcements.
Have you watched the film? If so, which Avatar name (or word) do you think stands the best chance of catching on as a baby name?
Update, 2021: It’s been over a decade since Avatar came out. So…what happened? Neither Eywa nor Toruk ended up in the U.S. baby name data. But the name Neytiri debuted in 2010, and the name Navi saw higher usage post-Avatar. (Though the rise of Navi could be due to the influence of Navy.)
Source: Avatar Wiki | Fandom