Memory, like several of the baby names in this mystery series, comes from a vocabulary word. This makes it notoriously hard to trace.
To add another wrinkle, Memory’s debut on the SSA’s list in 1922 was a rare dual-gender debut:
- 1925: 8 baby girls named Memory
- 1924: 6 baby girls named Memory
- 1923: unlisted
- 1922: 11 baby girls and 6 baby boys named Memory [debut]
- 1921: unlisted
- 1920: unlisted
SSDI data (looking at first names only) shows a distinct uptick in usage the same year:
- 1925: 6 people named Memory
- 1924: 2 people named Memory
- 1923: 6 people named Memory
- 1922: 9 people named Memory
- 1921: 3 people named Memory
- 1920: 3 people named Memory
Do you have any idea what gave the name Memory a boost back in the early ’20s? If so, leave a comment!