The name Draven first appeared in the U.S. baby name data in 1994. Rather unusually, it debuted for both genders in the very same year:
|Boys named Draven||Girls named Draven|
|1996||163 (rank: 853rd)||16|
|1995||182 (rank: 797th)||16|
Here’s a visual:
Where did the name Draven come from?
The dark movie The Crow, which was released in May of 1994.
The film was set in “some decaying urban hell […] where armed gangs prowl the alleyways and common people are driven inside to merely survive.”
The main character was resurrected rock star Eric Draven. He and his fiancée had been murdered by gang members the night before their wedding. Exactly one year later, Eric rose from the dead to avenge their deaths.
The Crow starred actor Brandon Lee, son of martial arts superstar Bruce Lee. Sadly, Brandon was fatally wounded by a prop gun during filming. He died in March of 1993. The same year, usage of the compound name Brandonlee more than tripled:
- 1995: 12 baby boys named Brandonlee
- 1994: 11 baby boys named Brandonlee
- 1993: 20 baby boys named Brandonlee
- 1992: 6 baby boys named Brandonlee
- 1991: unlisted
What are your thoughts on the baby name Draven?
- The Crow – Rotten Tomatoes
- Hunter, Stephen. “Brandon Lee’s ‘The Crow’ is very good at being dark, loud, violent.” Baltimore Sun 15 May 1994.
(Other dual-gender debuts include Chaffee, Dasani, Dondi, Illya, Rikishi, and Sundown.)