John and Margaret Nelson of Chesterfield, England, welcomed a baby girl at the very end of 1985. They named their daughter Tracy, but that’s not all they named her. This is Tracy’s full name:
|Tracy Mariclaire Lisa Tammy Samantha Christine Alexandra Candy Bonnie Ursala Zoe Nichola Patricia Lynda Kate Jean Sandra Karren Julie Jane Elizabeth Felicity Gabriella Jackie Corina Constance Arabella Clara Honor Geraldine Fiona Erika Fillippa Anabel Elsie Amanda Cheryl Alanna Louisa Angie Beth Crystal Dawn Debbie Eileen Grace Susan Rebecca Valerie Kay Lena Margaret Anna Amy Carol Bella Avril Ava Audry Andrea Daphne Donna Cynthia Cassie Christabel Vivien Wendy Moira Jennifer Abbie Adelaide Carrissa Carla Anne Astrid Barbara Charissa Catalina Bonny Dee Hazel Iris Anthea Clarinda Bernadette Cara Alison Carrie Angela Beryl Caroline Emma Dana Vanessa Zara Violet Lynn Maggie Pamela Rosemary Ruth Cathlene Alexandrina Annette Hilary Diana Angelina Carrinna Victoria Sara Mandy Annabella Beverly Bridget Cecilia Catherine Brenda Jessica Isbella Delilah Camila Candace Helen Connie Charmaine Dorothy Melinda Nancy Mariam Vicki Selina Miriam Norma Pauline Toni Penny Shari Zsa-zsa Queenie Nelson|
That’s 139 given names and 1 surname.
Why did John and Margaret do this to their daughter? According to John, “We just wanted to give her something for when she grows up.”
A reason that makes complete sense, of course.
Speaking of things that make sense, let’s pick out some of the needless repetition:
- Alexandra (#7) and Alexandrina (#103)
- Amanda (#36) and Mandy (#111)
- Angela (#89), Angie (#40) and Angelina (#107)
- Anna (#33), Anne (#74) and Annette (#104)
- Bella (#56), Annabella (#112), Arabella (#27) and Isbella (#119)
- Bonnie (#9) and Bonny (#79)
- Candace (#122) and Candy (#8)
- Carrissa (#72) and Charissa (#77)
- Clara (#28) and Clarinda (#84)
- Constance (#26) and Connie (#124)
- Corina (#25) and Carrinna (#108)
- Elizabeth (#21) and Beth (#41)
- Margaret (#52) and Maggie (#98)
- Mariam (#129) and Miriam (#131)
- Victoria (#109) and Vicki (#130)
- Zara (#95) and Sara (#110)
If you could go back in time and rename this baby, which two names (out of the 139) would you choose as her first and middle names?
Source: “Tracy for short.” Reading Eagle 24 Jan 1986: 1.