What’s the key to finding a great baby name?
Perhaps it’s checking out a long list of names that contain the word KEY!
Top baby names with KEY
First, a quick rundown of the most popular names with the letter sequence “k-e-y,” according to the current U.S. baby name data.
|Top girl names with “k-e-y”||Top boy names with “k-e-y”|
Now here are the same names again, this time with links to popularity graphs and, in some cases, explanations/definitions. (Most of these are modern names without a distinct origin, so I can’t add as much extra information as I did in similar posts, e.g., VAN, ICE, CAR.)
- Keyana and Keyanna were likely popularized by Qiana.
- Keylani may be a combination of the English word key and Hawaiian word lani, meaning “sky, heaven.”
- Keyli is a variant spelling of Keely, which can be traced back to Caollaidhe, an Irish (male) personal name based on the word caol, meaning “slender.”
- Keyon was probably influenced by similar-sounding names such as Dion and Leon.
- Keyshawn is an elaboration of Shawn, which is an Anglicized form of Seán, the Irish form of John.
- Mickey and Mikey are diminutives of Michael, which is based on a Hebrew name meaning “who is like God?” (rhetorical question).
- Rickey is a diminutive of Richard, which is based on a Germanic name made up of elements meaning “ruler, king” and “hardy, brave.”
More names with KEY
What other names have KEY in them? Here are some less-common choices. (Nearly all of these come directly from the SSA’s baby name data.)
- Akeya, Akeyia
- Akeyla, Akeylah
- Ikeya, Ikeyia
- Key, Keye
- Here’s a Key West. ;)
- Keyaira, Keyairah, Keyairra
- Keyanah, Keyannah
- Keyara, Keyarah, Keyarra
- Siblings named Keydra, Keyden, and Keyvar were mentioned in name quotes #115 earlier this year.
- Keyera, Keyerah, Keyerra
- Keylah, Keyhla
- Keylee, Keyleigh, Keylie, Keyly
- Keylli, Keylly
- Keymia, Keymiah, Keymiyah
- Keynia, Keyniah
- Keyona, Keyonah, Keyonna
- Keyoni, Keyonie
- Keyonia, Keyonnia
- Keyonni, Keyonnie
- Keyontae, Keyontay
- Keyra, Keyrra
- Keyri, Keyry
- Keysean, Keyshaun
- Keyshana, Keyshanna
- Keyshauna, Keyshawna
- Keyuana, Keyuanna
- Keyuna, Keyunna
- Keywana, Keywanna
- Lakeya, Lakeyah
- Nakeya, Nakeyah, Nakeyia
- Nickeya, Nikeya, Nikeyia, Nikkeya
- Shakeya, Shakeyia
- Takeya, Takeyah, Takeyia
- Tekeya, Tekeyah
- Tikeya, Tikeyah
- Tkeya, Tkeyah
- Zakeya, Zakeyah, Zakeyia
Some of the above are non-traditional spellings of more common names, such as Becky, Vicky, and Keith.
Which KEY name do you like most? Let me know in the comments!
- Behind the Name
- Online Etymology Dictionary
- Hanks, Patrick. (Ed.) Dictionary of American Family Names. New York: Oxford University Press, 2003.
Image by Silas Köhler from Unsplash